- Thursday August 2nd, 2012 :: 02:06 p.m. PDT
Burglary Prevention Tip of the Week (week 4) - "Lighting"
Residential Burglaries continue to be a problem and many are preventable. Each week we will continue to highlight precautions you can take to keep your home safe.
BURGLARY PREVENTION TIP OF THE WEEK: “Lighting”
Lighting serves as one of the best least expensive security options. Here are a few tips we hope you find useful:
• Make your home look occupied by leaving lights on when you aren’t home.
• Install exterior lighting high enough to illuminate the front and sides of your home.
• Consider installing motion sensor lights. Motion lights might illuminate for passing pets or on windy days, but they also add necessary lighting on side yards and driveways, as well as conserve energy.
• Utilize a timer for the interior of your home and porch light. This is a great option to alternate lighting in different rooms of your home when you are on vacation, or even to light up your house right before you arrive home each night.
• Display your house number conspicuously and have it well illuminated: Police, Fire and medical personnel will be able to respond more quickly if they can find your home.
We ask that you continue to be alert for suspicious people and vehicles in your neighborhood. Report suspicious activity, as it occurs, to the Fremont Police Department at (510) 790-6800 and select option 3. If you believe you are witnessing a crime in progress, dial 9-1-1.
Fremont Police Department (CA)
2000 Stevenson Blvd
Fremont, CA 94538