Receive alerts from your local agencies
...or text your ZIP CODE to 888777 for mobile alerts

Full Notification

Norton Shores Fire Department
Wednesday December 10th, 2014 :: 05:58 p.m. EST

Advisory

Protect yourself against the dangers of Carbon Monoxide!

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas. It can be extremely deadly. Please remember these simple tips to ensure you or your loved ones don't fall victim to this silent killer:

Always place carbon monoxide detectors in your house, particularly in sleeping areas, to alert you to the presence of CO.

If you suspect it's presence, know the symptoms of possible CO poisoning-nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, weakness, difficulty breathing, chest pain, confusion, and in late stages, unconsciousness and death.

Have gas appliances and wood burning devices routinely maintained and cleaned in accordance with manufacturer guidlines.

Assure gas or wood burning heating devices are used properly and are vented according to manufacturer guidelines.

If you have an attached garage, NEVER leave your vehicle inside while warming it up. CO can enter your house from the garage, even with the overhead door open.

If you have reason to believe there is CO in your house, but are not experiencing symptoms, get out to a safe place and contact your natural gas or LP gas supplier to have them test for its presence.

If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms and believe CO may be present, get out to a safe location and call 9-1-1.

Address/Location
Norton Shores Fire Department
1100 E Pontaluna Rd
Norton Shores, MI 49441

Contact
Emergency: 9-1-1
Non-emergencies: 231-798-2255

Navigate & Discover