- Monday January 21st, 2013 :: 12:04 p.m. EST
Due to the extremely cold Weather the Water Dept wants to alert Home owners to keep an eye on Water Pipes.
For More information Refer to the City of Peekskill Webpage
An average of a quarter-million families have their homes ruined and their lives disrupted each winter, all because of water pipes that freeze and burst. To prevent the needless expense and aggravation of frozen water pipes, protect your home, apartment or business by following these simple steps:
• Locate and insulate pipes most susceptible to freezing, typically those near outer walls, in the basement, crawl spaces or in the attic.
• Wrap pipes with insulation or heat tape (UL approved).
• Seal any leaks that allow cold air inside where pipes are located.
• Locate water shut off valves, replace if necessary with a more reliable, quarter-turn ball valve.
• Disconnect garden hoses; shut off and drain water from pipes leading to outside faucets. This reduces the chance of freezing in the short span of pipe just inside the house.
• Make sure you and members of the household know how to shut off the water, in case pipes burst. Stopping the water flow minimizes the damage to your home.
City of Peekskill
2 Nelson Ave
Peekskill, NY 10566