- Tuesday October 16th, 2012 :: 01:45 p.m. PDT
SBPD is Recruiting Police Explorers - Press Conference on October 17th, Recruiting Event on October 18th
The Santa Barbara Police Department Explorer Post #104 is recruiting Police Explorers. We are looking for ambitious young men and women, ages 14 to 20, who are interested in careers in law enforcement and are “Dedicated to Serve.” We will be hosting an Explorer Recruiting Event on Thursday, October 18, 2012 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Twelve35 Teen Center located at 1235 Chapala Street. Interested youths and their parents are welcome to attend.
A press conference will be held on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 4:00 p.m. on the front steps of the Santa Barbara Police Department, 215 E. Figueroa Street, to discuss the Explorer Program and the Police Department’s long-term goal of developing local youth to become the next generation of SBPD personnel. Current Police Explorers will be on hand for interviews and photographs.
Police Explorers learn about law enforcement through a combination of classroom and field training activities designed to prepare them for the Police Academy. Topics such as patrol tactics, crime scene investigation, traffic control, radio procedure, first aid, CPR, and physical fitness are among those taught. Additionally, Police Explorers participate in community events, patrol ride-alongs, and competitions with Explorers from other agencies. The law enforcement values of integrity, knowledge, moral and physical courage, leadership, teamwork, and service are stressed throughout the program.
The following are the minimum standards for membership in the Santa Barbara Police Department Explorer Post:
• Must be 14 to 20 years of age (14-year olds must have graduated from the eighth grade).
• Must have parents’ permission.
• Must be enrolled in a secondary school through age 18, maintaining a 2.0 GPA (C average).
• Must be of high moral character, free from felony convictions or any violation which would exempt a person from consideration as a peace officer.
• Must successfully undergo a selection process consisting of an oral interview, background investigation, and a written exam.
• Must have the ability to attend weekly Explorer Post meetings.
• Must be willing to volunteer at Explorer functions and community events.
• Must be willing to commit to the Explorer Code of Conduct and to exemplify the professional image of the Santa Barbara Police Department.
Santa Barbara Police Department
215 East Figueroa Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Riley L. Harwood
Public Information Officer