- Thursday August 23rd, 2012 :: 02:15 p.m. PDT
Back to school safety
It’s hard to believe, but summer is coming to an end and the new school year is approaching. Soon you will see children walking to and from school and higher levels of traffic in our neighborhoods, which will impact the way we drive. Tragically each year, we injure and lose precious children due to accident in and around bus stops, school zones, crosswalks and school buses. Compton Sheriff’s Station would like to ask for your assistance in taking a proactive role in ensuring the safety of school age children by observing these simple rules:
• Speed limit in school zones is 25 mph
• Double parking is not allowed when dropping off and/or picking up from school
• Parking in red zones is prohibited
• No cell phone usage or texting while operating your vehicle
• Watch for school buses loading and unloading children.
• Watch for children crossing in front of or behind vehicles
• Yield to children while they are crossing the street
• When backing out of a driveway or leaving a garage, watch for children walking or biking to
As a reminder, students must be in school or under the direct supervision of a parent/legal guardian between 8:00a.m. and 2:30p.m.
LASD - Compton Station, Los Angeles County Sheriff
301 South Willowbrook Avenue
Compton, CA 90220