Receive alerts from your local agencies
...or text your ZIP CODE to 888777 for mobile alerts

Full Notification

Anchorage Police Department
Tuesday October 1st, 2019 :: 09:00 a.m. AKDT


OH NO! You crashed your car! Do you have to call the police?

While people do tend to wreck their cars year-round, it gets worse when the roads are icky.  Winter is just around the corner so we thought it would be a good time to talk about when you must call the police after a crash and when you do not.
When you DO have to call APD:

  • At least one of the cars involved is owned by the State or Municipality, is a commercial vehicle, or is a vehicle-for-hire (in-service taxi, Uber, Lyft).
  • State or Municipal property has been damaged such as a light pole, fence, guardrail, and etcetera.
  • At least one of the drivers does not have a valid driver’s license and/or insurance.
  • There are injuries.
  • Traffic is blocked and the vehicle(s) can’t be moved without a tow truck’s assistance.
  • Intoxication or some other criminal element is involved.
When you DO NOT have to call APD:
  • All drivers have current driver’s licenses and insurance.
  • No one is hurt.
  • All vehicles can be moved out of the roadway.
Regardless if the police are responding or not, PLEASE MOVE YOUR VEHICLES OUT OF TRAFFIC if you are able to.  Despite the popular misconception that officers need to see the vehicles in the positions they ended up in as a result of the collision – they do not.  The longer the vehicles sit in the roadway the higher the likelihood of them being struck by other motorists.  If you are unable to move your vehicle out of the way, do not sit in your car while waiting for the tow truck or police.  You risk getting injured, or further injured, should your car get hit by other traffic while you’re in it.
If you do not call the police, make sure you exchange information with the other driver(s).  All involved parties must then file an on-line crash report with the State of Alaska Department of Transportation at  You must do this within ten calendar days of the crash date.
Whether an officer writes the crash report in-person or you do it online, you must provide Proof of Insurance to the state within 15 days of the collision date.  That form can also be found at the same link as listed above for the crash report.
Buckle up, drive safely, put your cell phone away, and give yourself extra time to arrive at your destination when the roads are slick.

Anchorage Police Department
716 W 4th Ave
Anchorage, AK 99501

Emergency: 9-1-1
Non-emergencies: 907-786-8900

Navigate & Discover