- Friday April 19th, 2013 :: 11:26 a.m. EDT
State Road 28 from U.S. 31 to State Road 19 is Closed
Tipton - Be advised that State Road 28 from U.S. 31 to State Road 19, in Tipton County, is closed due to flood waters covering the road. Traffic from State Road 19 will be directed north to Division Road, then west to U.S. 31. Motorists should avoid the area if possible.
Drivers should expect to encounter road closures due to flooding as they travel through north central Indiana. This is especially true in rural areas. Motorists are advised not to drive around barricades that indicate a road is closed. They should also follow the instructions of emergency service personnel who might be directing traffic away from hazardous situations. Roadways will reopen when flood waters recede allowing for safe road conditions.
• Don’t travel unless absolutely necessary. If you have to travel carry a cell phone with a car charger.
• Purchase a weather scanner and heed all flood and flash flood warnings issued by the National Weather Service.
• Do not drive around barricades at water crossings.
• Be especially vigilant at night. Many drowning deaths occur at night when it is difficult to see water crossings.
• Do not cross or enter flowing water. Driving fast through high water on the road is not a solution. Faster speeds create less tire contact with the road surface and increase your chance of crashing.
• Driving through standing water may affect your brakes. Test your brakes at low speeds as soon as you exit the water.
• If you choose to abandon your vehicle, respect the force of the water flow, you may be swept off your feet. After you exit the vehicle seek higher ground.
• Be aware that road erosion may occur when there is running or standing water.
• Remember that six inches of water will reach the bottoms of most car doors. One foot of water will float many vehicles, and two feet of moving water can carry away most vehicles.
If you find yourself stranded in flood waters remain calm and call 911. If you can do so safely move to higher ground.
Indiana State Police-Peru District 16-Peru, IN
1451 N Eel River Cemetery Rd
Peru, IN 46970
Sergeant Tony Slocum