- Saturday December 1st, 2012 :: 03:43 p.m. PST
Sheriff Baca Speaks to Bright Future Scholars in Altadena
Sheriff Baca was a keynote speaker today at the Quality of Life Center's Bright Future Scholars in Altadena. CEO and Dean of Scholars Dr. Sandra Thomas welcomed mentors Los Angeles Sheriff Lee Baca, Altadena Sheriff's Captain John Benedict, Senator Carol Liu, Congressmember Judy Chu and General Manager of the Pasadena Water and Power Phyllis Currie to speak to Altadena and Pasadena youth.
The Sheriff spoke about growing up in Los Angeles and his journey to becoming the leader of the largest Sheriff's Department in the nation, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
Dr. Thomas told the audience that she was extremely proud of the success of the now nationally acclaimed programs; one such being the Bright Futures Scholars Support Program. Participating scholars focus on daily leadership development as well as marketability preparation towards future goals. The youth strive to meet the expectations that are set for them - and at the Quality of Life Center, these expectations are high. Consider some of their recent results:
* 100% of the seniors in the programs from all local high schools have enrolled in a college.
* The programs are in the top 10 percent of all academic programs in the country.
* In the past five years, program participants have grown in annual numbers from 35 to more than 500.
* In academic achievement, the Bright Futures Scholars Support Program, when compared to others with similar demographics, rank at the top state wide.
* Community leaders such as the senator, congressman, assembly member, county supervisor, ,mayor, council members, corporate executives, doctors, lawyers, judges, local schools superintendent, law enforcement and others, willingly volunteer their time to mentor our scholars individually as well as in groups.
* Each spring, qualifying scholars attend a seven day leadership retreat on Capital Hill in Washington D.C. and put into practice all of the skills they have acquired throughout the year.
* The Quality of Life Center, Inc., continues to instruct young participants in the importance of giving back to their community through programs such as the "SSS Program - Students Serving Seniors".
* Program Participants are all engaged in playing an active roll in addressing social, economical, as well as community issues on all levels.
Visit the Quality of Lfe website for more information:
Visit the Altadena Sheriff's Station Web Page:
Sign up for Nixle Alerts:
Follow Altadena Nixle:
Follow Altadena Twitter:
Follow Captain Benedict's Twitter:
Like the Altadena Sheriff's Facebook Page:
LASD - Altadena Station, Los Angeles County Sheriff
780 East Altadena Drive
Altadena, CA 91001
Altadena Sheriff Station