- Wednesday March 14th, 2012 :: 01:46 p.m. PDT
Utility/City Worker Burglary Scam
Recently, we have seen our surrounding cities see a rise in “Utility/City Worker Burglary Scams” targeting the elderly.
Typically, the suspect will knock on your door and pose as a city worker, city inspector or utility worker. The suspect will take you to the rear yard and talk to you about fence, or tree work that must be done. While the suspect has distracted you outside your home, suspect number two will enter your home and take jewelry/cash.
In some cases, the suspect will keep you in the kitchen pretending to check for water contamination as the second suspect enters and goes to your bedroom taking valuables.
Here are some tips to remember:
• Always ask to see for identification before allowing anyone inside your home and asking the purpose of their visit. All city employees will have a city issued photo ID. In addition, South Pasadena Public Works field workers will always wear a city issued uniform having the city seal. Utility workers (gas and electric) will also have work issued ID cards.
• Unless you call for service electrical, gas and water departments will not check inside your home. They are only responsible for services from the streets up to your meter. It is the responsibility of the homeowner from the meters to inside of your home.
• The only time a city worker may knock on your door is to inform you that the city will be turning off the main waterline in your area to repair an emergency leak, but they will NEVER enter your house.
• If you are unsure of a workers claim to be at your house, call the number listed on your utility bill to confirm their service call.
• Be suspicious of anyone going door-to-door asking for solicitations. Con artists will often solicit for construction work around your house. Tree and roof service are the most common since they draw you outside your home.
• City and utility workers will never collect payment in the field.
Call the South Pasadena Police Department to report any suspicious activity in your neighborhood at 626-403-7297
South Pasadena Police Department
1422 Mission St
South Pasadena, CA 91030