- Wednesday January 11th, 2012 :: 04:02 p.m. CST
Sheriff’s Office Provides Weather Resource Information and Safe Driving Tips
Sheriff Keith Nygren would like to remind all residents of McHenry County to travel safely and has provided links to several resources informing residents of building closures and on road conditions.
• The McHenry County Sheriff’s Office communicates with the public through several outlets. While you may have a Nixle account, encourages others to also be informed and sign up at Nixle www.nixle.com to receive emails and text messages. Nixle messages can be alerts, advisories, and community messages. The McHenry County Sheriff’s Office also has Facebook and Twitter accounts where the community can receive messages through.
• The McHenry County Government Center will post Building Closures on the Emergency Closing Center website: http://www.emergencyclosingcenter.com/ecc/home.jsp Sign up to be notified for up to two “closure” notifications through email. Enter in the Facility Name “McHenry County Government Center.”
• For Road Conditions on State Highways in Illinois, visit Illinois Department of Transportation site for information: http://www.gettingaroundillinois.com/ and click on Winter Road Conditions.
• Information on Wisconsin Road Conditions: http://www.dot.state.wi.us/travel/
Here are a few suggestions the McHenry County Sheriff’s Office has to help you drive safely:
• Watch out for blowing and drifting snow on the roadways. This occurs especially in rural areas where there is nothing to slow down the strong winds.
• Please SLOW DOWN and watch out for black ice: drive at slow speeds as you may come across unsafe road conditions.
• Consider turning on your headlights or parking lights to make you more visible.
• Please be aware of other drivers on the roadway and use defensive driving tactics.
• Consider staying home if you do not have to be on the roadways.
• Travel during winter months with plenty of fuel in your tank and extra warm clothes.
• Please allow snow plow drivers room to work clearing the roadways.
• In an event of an emergency please call 911 for assistance.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: On January 11, 2012 a WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY for snow and blowing snow was issued by the National Weather Service in Chicago. At the time the advisory message was released it stated that the advisory is in effect from 9 AM on Thursday to 9 AM CST Friday. Look to your local media for additional information on this weather storm.
McHenry County, IL Sheriff's Office
2200 N Seminary Ave
Woodstock, IL 60098