- Friday December 16th, 2011 :: 11:16 a.m. CST
SPD has extra patrols in shopping areas during the holiday season. Please report all suspicious activity to the department.
The Schererville Police Department has additional personnel on duty patrolling the shopping areas during the holidays. The department would like to remind shoppers to report all suspicious activity and be mindful of the following safety tips:
1. Park in well-lit areas. Be alert and always know what is going on around you. Avoid talking and texting on cell phones as these distractions can make you an easy target.
2. Travel in pairs when shopping or have security walk with you to your vehicle when it’s dark. Also, have your car keys ready in your hand prior to leaving the store.
3. Don’t leave valuables, packages or other personal items in your vehicle where they can be seen. Put all items of value out of sight in the trunk of your car.
4. Carry only a few credit cards. Remember where you shopped and check your bank account to ensure your card has not been compromised.
5. Do not leave your purse unattended in a shopping cart.
6. Always check your home when leaving. Ensure the garage door has shut and everything is secure. If you will be returning after dark, leave a few lights on inside and outside your residence.
7. Get to know your neighbor’s routine and have them know yours. Instruct them to call the police if something appears wrong.
8. If you see a vehicle or person hanging around your neighborhood or near your parked car that you don’t recognize, contact the police to check on it.
Be safe and happy holidays!!!
Schererville Police Department
25 East Joliet Street
Schererville, IN 46375
Daniel J. Smith
Chief of Police