Receive alerts from your local agencies Sign Up ...or text your ZIP CODE to 888777 for mobile alerts not sure how?

Full Notification

Wood County Dispatch Center
Wednesday December 7th, 2011 :: 12:44 p.m. CST

DOT encourages people to bring the right documents to DMV for photo ID which is needed to vote in upcoming elections

Acceptable forms of Voter ID
 Wisconsin driver’s license*
 WI DOT-issued photo ID card*
 U.S. passport*
 Military ID card*
*The above documents may not have expired earlier than the date of the last November election.
 Certificate of naturalization issued within last 2 years
 Unexpired Wisconsin driver’s license or state ID receipt
 ID card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin
 Unexpired ID issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college—must contain issuance date, student signature, and expiration date within 2 years of issuance, along with proof of current enrollment.

By The VOICE Staff

DOT encourages people to bring the right documents to DMV

The state legislature recently passed a law that requires people to present an acceptable photo ID when voting. Following is some information to help those who need to obtain a Wisconsin ID card for voting purposes better prepare for a visit to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

If you don’t have photo ID for voting, DMV can issue a photo ID free of charge if you will be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election and request an ID card for the purpose of voting.

A free ID card is NOT available if you:

·Currently have a valid, unexpired driver license

·Will not be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election

·Already have a Wisconsin ID card that is not eligible for renewal (you may renew your ID card up to one year prior to its expiration date)

·Are not eligible to vote in Wisconsin

When applying, it will be necessary to provide your Social Security number and one document from each category below.

·Proof of name and date of birth:

o Certified U.S. birth certificate (not a copy)

o Valid U.S. passport

o Certificate of Naturalization

o Tribal ID card

·Proof of identity:

o Social Security card

o Certified copy of a marriage certificate or judgment of divorce

o A driver license or ID card form another state (this must be surrendered to get a Wisconsin driver license or ID card)

·Proof of Wisconsin residency – Documents listed below must include your name and current Wisconsin residence street address:

o Pay check or stub or earning statement with your name and Wisconsin address, and your employer’s name and address, issued within the last 90 days. Your employer’s telephone number may be required for verification.

o A bill for water, gas, electricity, land-line telephone, cable or cell phone service issued within the last 90 days. Electronic copies are acceptable.

o An account statement from a Wisconsin bank/financial institution issued within the last 90 days. Electronic copies are acceptable.

o Certified school record or transcript that identifies you by name, shows your current address and is issued within the last 90 days for the most recent school period.

o Mortgage documents for a residential property located in Wisconsin.

o Community based/assisted living residential contracts.

o Your current valid homeowner, renter or motor vehicle insurance policy dated within one year of application.

o A letter from a homeless shelter.

·Proof of U.S. citizenship, legal permanent resident, conditional resident or temporary visitor status:

o U.S. state or local government-issued certificate of birth (certified copy – birth registration and hospital certificates are not acceptable).

o Valid U.S. passport

o U.S. Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Certificate of Citizenship

The Government Accountability Board notes that an unexpired Wisconsin driver license is the most common acceptable photo ID for voting. An expired Wisconsin driver license or ID is acceptable too as long as it expired within two years after the most recent general election. In other words, if a Wisconsin ID or driver license expired in December 2010, it can still be used for voting purposes in the November 2012 general election.

The most common documents are listed above. For a complete list of acceptable documents and more information on how to get a Wisconsin ID card, visit the Wisconsin DMV online at

For more information on voting in Wisconsin, visit the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board online at

Wood County Dispatch Center
400 Market St
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494

Emergency: 9-1-1
Non-emergencies: 715-421-8701

Navigate & Discover