- Monday May 9th, 2011 :: 12:48 p.m. CDT
After the Flood Info--FEMA
• If your home has suffered damage, call your insurance agent to file a claim.
• Check for structural damage before re-entering your home to avoid being trapped in a building collapse.
• Take photos of any floodwater in your home and save any damaged personal property.
• Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their purchase date and value with receipts, and place with the inventory you took prior to the flood. Some damaged items may require disposal, so keep photographs of these items.
• Keep power off until an electrician has inspected your system for safety.
• Boil water for drinking and food preparation until authorities tell you that your water supply is safe.
• Prevent mold by removing wet contents immediately.
• Wear gloves and boots to clean and disinfect. Wet items should be cleaned with a pine-oil cleanser and bleach, completely dried, and monitored for several days for any fungal growth and odors.
For more information on getting prepared for floods visit Ready.gov or m.fema.gov.
Jonesboro Police & Fire Dispatch
411 West Monroe Avenue
Jonesboro, AR 72401