Receive alerts from your local agencies
...or text your ZIP CODE to 888777 for mobile alerts

Full Notification

Columbia Fire Department (South Carolina)
Wednesday December 8th, 2010 :: 09:32 a.m. EST

Advisory

Carbon Monoxide If your house has one gas or solid fuel appliance you need a CO Alarm!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

December 08, 2010

Michael Thomas, Public Fire Education Officer, 545-3701

Carbon Monoxide

If your house has one gas or solid fuel appliance you need a CO Alarm!

Carbon monoxide (CO), also known as the “silent killer”, is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that results from the incomplete burning of common fuels such as natural or liquefied petroleum (LP) gas, oil, wood, or coal. When CO is inhaled, it enters the blood stream and reduces the ability of the blood to carry oxygen to vital organs, such as the heart and brain

CO poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning and other illnesses. Some symptoms include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, light headedness, or headaches. High levels of CO can be fatal, causing death within minutes.

The effects of carbon monoxide in parts per million are listed below:
• 100 ppm (0.01%) Slight headache in two to three hours
• 800 ppm (0.08%) Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 minutes.
• 3,200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness and nausea in five to ten minutes. Death within 30 minutes.

Install CO alarms to provide early warning of accumulating CO. CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each separate sleeping area. If bedrooms are spaced apart, each area will need a CO alarm. Test CO alarms at least once a month and replace CO alarms according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Have fuel-burning heating equipment (fireplaces, furnaces, water heaters, wood and coal stoves, space or portable heaters) and chimneys inspected by a professional every year before cold weather arrives.

If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle, generator, or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Generators should be placed well away from the house because carbon monoxide can get pulled into the house through vents or open windows.
###

Address/Location
Columbia Fire Department (South Carolina)
1800 Laurel St
Columbia, SC 29201

Contact
Emergency: 9-1-1
Non-emergencies: 803-545-3700

Michael Thomas
Fire Prevention
cfdmthomas@columbiasc.net
803-545-3717

Navigate & Discover