Receive alerts from your local agencies
...or text your ZIP CODE to 888777 for mobile alerts

Full Notification

Mercersburg Police Department
Wednesday July 29th, 2009 :: 03:45 p.m. EDT

Community

Letters of Appreciation Presented to VFW, American Legion & Mercersburg Academy in Ceremony at Mercersburg Boro Hall

Effective July 29, 2009, the Mercersburg Police Department adopted a new shoulder patch that replaces a generic patch that has been used for many years by the department. The new patch reflects the uniqueness of Mercersburg by depicting the Mercersburg Borough Hall. The Mercersburg Borough Hall has been the home of the Mercersburg Police Department since the late 1920s. Officer George Webber headed up the project of coming up with a new shoulder patch for the department. To accomplish this, he enlisted the aid of Ms. Kristy Lynn Higby of the Mercersburg Academy, Burgin Center for The Arts who designed the new patch and the Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion of Mercersburg who sponsored the cost of the new patch.

In a ceremony at the Mercersburg Borough Hall, Mercersburg Mayor James C. Zeger and Mercersburg Chief of Police John D. Zechman presented letters of appreciation to Officer Webber of the Mercersburg Police Department, Mr. Dale Thatcher, Commander of the American Legion, and Mr. Gary Smith, District Commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars thanking them for their selflessness and community support not only in this project but many community projects they are involved in, in the Mercersburg area. Ms. Higby of the Mercersburg Academy was not available to attend the ceremony and the letter will be presented to her at a later time.

The patch is worn on both sleeves of the uniform and costs about half the price of the generic patch that was used previously by the police department.

The lot where the Mercersburg Hall now stands was the site of the first town jail and an early band shell. F. Keagy built the Borough Hall in 1904 for a cost of $4,308.38. G. Seylor added the clock/bell tower in 1909 for a cost of $375.00. The South end of the Borough Hall housed the Eclipse fire engine until 1924 and the Mercersburg Police Department since the late 1920’s. The second floor housed the library from 1927 to 1973. The office and court room of District Court 39-3-06 has occupied the second floor since 1979.

Address/Location
Mercersburg Police Department
113 S Main St
Mercersburg, PA 17236

Contact
Emergency: 9-1-1
Non-emergencies: 717-328-2221

John Zechman
Mercersburg Police Department
mercerpd@comcast.net
717-328-2221

Navigate & Discover